On the Trg glagoljaša Square in the town of Krk, we can find the monastery and church of St. Francis. These are mentioned in various scriptures starting from the 13th century. According to legend, the monastery was founded after St. Francis found shelter in Krk due to bad weather and met a hermit who took over his teachings and founded the Franciscan Order. The image of the Virgin with child by Vittore Carpacci, an Italian Renaissance painter, is kept in the monastery. The Church of St. Francis was built in the Gothic style in the 13th century. This indicates that the present building was created by the remodelling of an older one. One of the curiosities on the wall of the church is the figure of a 13th century Venetian winged lion. The Lion has a closed book, which is a sign that Venice was at war then. The cistern with cloister, powered by rainwater, was built in 1625 and the bell tower of the church was completed in 1743.
Churches, monasteries, chapels